Marble Caves in Southern Patagonia, Chile
1. a question or statement so framed as to exercise one’s ingenuity in answering it or discovering its meaning; conundrum.
2. a puzzling question, problem, or matter.
3. a puzzling thing or person.
4. any enigmatic or dark saying or speech.
5. to propound riddles; speak enigmatically.
Etymology: from Middle English redel, redels, from Old English rǣdels, rǣdelse (“counsel”, “opinion”, “imagination”, “riddle”), from Proto-Germanic *rēdisliją (“counsel, conjecture”). Akin to Old Saxon rādisli (Dutch raadsel), Old High German rādisle (German Rätsel “riddle”), Old English rǣdan (“to read, advise, interpret”).
Click here for the secondary definition of riddle.